CANONICO ANTONIO MIGLIACCIO
(1854 – 1945)
Founder of the Congregation
Disciples of St. Therese of the Infant Jesus
Being with people, clergy’s service and giving much zeal to the mission until his death, Canonico Antonio is known as an “old oak”. Throughout his life, the words of St. Luke were his compass: “our Lord chose me to bring to the poor the news of their salvation.” For his “disciples”, he inculcated the words of St. Cecilia that: “every member is to be like an industrious bee in a little hive of charity where she continually builds a honey of nutrition.”
Born December 19, 1854 to a wealthy family, Antonio became the only heir of Migliaccio’s vast heritage. But it did not hinder him to enter priesthood at the age of 12. He gave good example of deep piety in observing the rules and showed an impressive intelligence. Possessing these qualities, he was admitted to the priesthood at the age of 22.
His leading virtue was austerity. In severe penance and life made of sacrifices and sufferings, he was a man edified by contemplation. He was indeed, a deeply missionary soul.
Seeing the great spiritual need of the people among whom he exercised his apostolate, Canonico Antonio, moved by the spirit of the Lord, conceived a religious family whose members, consecrated totally to God, would dedicate themselves to serve others, especially those in need.
At present, the Congregation has become an active cell, although humble and little, of the great Church’s system.
diocese of marbel
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CONGREGATION OF THE DISCIPLES OF ST. THERESE OF THE INFANT JESUS IN THE DIOCESE OF MARBEL
The Congregation established its presence in the Philippines in 1989 which was situated in BF Homes, Paranaque City.
In 1992, the Congregation was searching for new aspirants. Sr. Ida, an Italian Sister with Weniga, a resident from General Santos went to General Santos City for vocation campaign. They were helped by a group of laity namely Rosing Bayron, Willy Santanez and her sister, Estella, who became a member of the congregation.
On that same year, Ms. Jovita Onez, a devout Catholic Christian was looking for a religious congregation where she would donate a one (1) hectare of land with the condition that they will put-up a convent and a school. The message was shared from Dra. Teresita Catapang to Miss Willy Santanez to Sr. Maria Villa, Superior of the Mission.
On July 1998, the Mother General with Sr. Nora Macabasag, first Filipina Sister of the congregation went in the Philippines for Canonical visit. Occasionally, they visited General Santos and met Miss Jovita Onez.
After few days of stay, Mo. Gen. Dolores, Sr. Nora accompanied with Dr. Catapang, Mrs. Rosing and Ms. Willy went to Marbel to meet Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez, D.D. In their meeting Mo. Gen. Dolores asked Bishop’s permission to work in his diocese and informed the bishop regarding the location of the proposed land. The Congregation was much welcomed of the Diocese.
When Mo. General Dolores went to back to Italy, she opened the plan and the proposals and was accepted and approved by the Council.
Five months after, Mother General went back to the Philippines and appointed Sr. Estella Santanez and Sr. Sara Rendon as responsible during the construction of the building. Temporarily, the sisters rented a house in Lagao, General Santos City as the construction began.
December 2001, Mother General Dolores with Sr. Nora came back to the Philippines for the incoming inauguration. Together with the Community in Manila, Mo. Gen. came to General Santos on December 23, 2001 for the preparation of the big feast.
On January 3, 2001, Bishop Dinualdo D. Gutierrez officiated the Holy Mass with his brother priests namely: Fr. Manny Gellez, Fr. Fortunato, Fr. Doming, Fr. Monasque, Fr. Art for the blessing of the convent and school and first profession of the five novices with Sr. Marynor A. Cabral, dst, presently School Head of Canonico Antonio Institute, General Santos City.